Accessibility Statement

History of the RSFD

RSFD circa 1907


The Rock Springs Fire Department began as the Clark Hose Company in 1888. The company was formed for the protection of the population of the Town of Rock Springs and the surrounding Union Pacific coal camps. The Clark Hose Company consisted of 24 members each paid $25 annually plus $1.50 per call. 

In August 1897 the Town of Rock Springs replaced the paid fire company with a volunteer company. The company was known as the W. K. Lee Volunteer Fire Company

The volunteer fire system lasted seven years until on August 18th, 1904 Ordinance #46 was passed creating the full time Rock Springs Fire Department. This is the same fire department that continues today.

Contact Us

City Hall (more)
212 D St
Rock Springs, WY 82901
Get Directions

  • Phone: (307) 352-1500
  • Fax: (307) 352-1516
  • Staff Directory